Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11


9/11, 8 years ago.
John woke me up that morning. We weren't married yet, our wedding was just over a month away. It was 7:30am for me, 3:30pm for John. I worked as a tutor at the time, I took a half day. Eventually I just had to turn the TV off, I could feel the panic setting in. I remember wondering how they were making room for all the grounded planes. My sis-in-law had a close friend that she stayed with over the summer directly across from the twin towers. She couldn't be located and we spent the afternoon trying to find her and adding her to the lost or unknown list.
My wedding was on Oct. 18th. and I already had my flight booked for September 29th. I flew out of LA with a connection in JFK and Heathrow. Everyone told me that it was one of the safest times to fly. They were probably right, security took aeons, but it didn't take away that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I boarded the plane. Obviously everything went just fine, but that day and flight will always be a vivid memory imprinted on my heart.



Everyone has their own version and memory of that day and it's amazing to hear their stories, especially those people that were there or directly affected by it.

No comments: